We did it! I saw this on Pinterest and knew this was THE project to make! This is also being called the "The 1411 Mile Art Project". In an effort to do a collaborative art project with my sister and my crafty nieces, this project was mailed back and forth to get it all done!
11x14 flat canvas mat
acrylic paint in rainbow colors
Here is my tutorial. I hope it's not too simplistic, but I'm a very visual person!
|1. We went to the site with the original picture and enlarged it |
on our screen and traced it onto copy paper!
|2. We cut out the bird and then transferred it to heavy weight 12x12 scrapbook paper.|
|3. This is what it looked like before I decided to enlarge |
the wings and tail a little!
|4. Make sure you practice stamping your color!|
|5. Let the colors dry before you start a new one!|
|6. Keep going!|
|7. Write your name and then stamp your color.|
I put paper down to mark the general area the kids could write their name in.
|8. Ready to be mailed! My family's part is pretty much done! |
As you can see, we got super excited and decided to make several so
everyone can have on in their homes! To see the heart completed, go here.
|9. They arrived safe and sound! My niece got started right away!|
|10. Frame and wrap! Ready to give! Happy Birthday Mom / Gramom!|
1. Mixing colors - start with your basic colors Red, Orange, Yellow, Blue, Green, Indigo, and Violet. The colors are very vibrant! To make more colors, mix these together or add a little white to change them.
2. Write the name first and then do your fingerprint. Make sure kids practice!
3. Make a stencil - enlarge it on your screen and trace it on computer paper. Retrace onto card stock and cut out.
4. Tape the edge of your canvas that will be covered with the frame. Then it won't be cut off when you place it in the frame!
5. Make sure you let each color have ample time to dry - a few hours.
6. When you remove the stencil, wash off any stuck paper with a little water and cloth. It shouldn't hurt anything.
Link: Under the Table and Dreaming, Fingerprint and Freckles, Art for Little Hands, Blogaholic, Oopsey Daisy
Please leave a comment below if you try it! I'd love to see your creations too!