Crystal Science Experiment is a super way to bring some STEM activities into the holiday. While we love Candy-Free Valentines (click here), we have fun with hands-on experiments. For more Valentines Crafts click here. This crystal activity can be customized with different shapes and letters.
Supplies needed for the Crystal Heart:
- Borax – sold by the box in cleaning aisle of stores
- Boiling water
- Glass container – I used an old vase, but Mason jars would work too
- Stick – anything you have works (pencil, chopsticks, ruler)
- Pipe Cleaners
- Food coloring (optional) – we dyed our solution a little pink/red for the above results.
Simple Crystal Heart Science Experiment Directions:
- Make your design (heart) from pipe cleaners.
- Attach the pipe cleaner to a stick with a piece of string. This will allow the heart to dangle in the solution.
- Boil 1 point of water and mix it with 1/3 cup of Borax. Pour into tall glass container.
- Lower pipe cleaner design into the water mix. Let it stay for 3 hours or overnight.
- Remove, dry and display.