Do you feel pressured when asked to draw something? I do. When I found out we (3rd grade class) were all going to draw a reindeer, I thought it would never work. I thought they would all struggle and not be able to do it. Boy was I wrong. In fact, we loved this so much that we made a Leprechaun too! Read on to find out How (you too) can Draw a Reindeer. Don’t miss the awesome list of Reindeer books at the bottom too.
This is a perfect activity for all ages! I loved it so much that I’ve done the activity in a classroom, with my own child, and with a large group of women (Christmas Ice Breaker). It would also be a fun family Christmas activity.
Wouldn’t it be funny to see who can really follow directions? You’ll know by the way their reindeer turns out!
This was inspired Art Venturous. Isn’t this the cutest?
PRINT OUT the directions:
Click here >>>>>>>>> How to Draw a Reindeer
Reindeer Drawing Supplies:
- direction sheet (link above)
- crayons (we prefer this type of crayon)
- white paper (construction paper or card stock)
How to Draw a Reindeer Directions
I am a very visual person and find that looking at these directions are helpful.
1. Give children a copy and then start a draft. You can use their journals or dry erase boards. Model how to draw the pictures to your children or students. Show them that it just takes simple shapes. Many children are overwhelmed by the details and then so surprised when they DO it!
2. Point out the transitional words (first, next, then, last, finally).
3. Pass out new paper and encourage students to make their final copy.
This class set was made by third graders. When it was hung in the hallway, the teacher added a really neat touch. A “free take-one” envelope. The other classes went wild taking the directions. We hope they’re having fun making them with their friends and families too.
How the Reindeer Got Their Antlers by Geraldine McCaughrean
Reindeer (A Day in the Life: Polar Animals) by Katie Marsico
Reindeer Christmas by Mark Kimball Moulton
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer by Robert L. May
The Great Reindeer Rebellion by Lisa Trumbauer
The South Pole Reindeer Revolt by Rodney Norman
The Wild Christmas Reindeer by Jan Brett
Uncles and Antlers by Lisa Wheeler
Other Posts You Might Like: