Best Audio Books for Kids
This is one of our favorite quiet-time activities. Not only do audio books improve vocabulary and comprehension, but they are highly entertaining too!
Listening to books is reading with your EARS!
One thing I KNOW I’ve done right as a mom: introducing my children to Audio Books at an early age! We have listened to hundreds of books together in the car and they’ve listened to hundreds more during quiet time. There isn’t much I can confidently say I’ve done right, but I DO know this has been enormously beneficial. My children LOVE books! Not only do they enjoy listening to them, but they like reading them too. Studies show that audio books increase vocabulary and comprehension, I’ve seen it first hand!
Audio books increase vocabulary and comprehension.
Where do I get audio books? The library is always our number one choice, but we’ve found great books on-line too.
Audible offers two free audio books when you sign up. Try Audible and Get Two Free Audiobooks.
Ann also told me that she uses the App “Overdrive” that is connected to her public library’s digital library.
Audiobooks have been the lifesaver to our road trips.
Ann’s tip: Borrow the book from your library (download it to a device or stream it). After 2 weeks it disappears. With Blue Tooth adaptability on your phone and in your car you can listen to books as you travel. Audio books have been the lifesaver on our road trips. I love them for pleasure reading on my hour commute too!
Our Top Audio Books List
Mrs. Piggle Wiggle
Rabbit Ears – Tall Tales
Mercy Watson Collection
Flora and Ulysses
Elementary Age Listeners
Tale of Desperaux
Harriet the Spy
Nate the Great
Wizard of Oz
Sarah, Plain and Tall
Cricket in Time Square
The Phantom Tollbooth
Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing
Felicity – All American Girl
Secrets of Droon
Anne of Green Gables
The Castle in the Attic
The Secret School
Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH
The Giver (series)
The Book Thief
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
Steel Heart (series)
Agatha Christie Mysteries
10 Reasons I love Audio Books for Kids:
- They keep my kids entertained during rest time.
- They have improved my children’s story comprehension and vocabulary.
- We listen in the car – on long trips and around town.
- They listen to books that are above their reading level.
- We listen to books that we might not have read on our own.
- They keep my kids from fighting in the car.
- Some of them teach important biblical lessons.
- They helped us transition from nap time to rest time.
- When we listen together we can discuss harder topics and discuss the book.
- Our public library has a great selection!! Which means f-r-e-e!