Teacher Tips for Coffee Filter Art:
- Have students write their names in ballpoint pen on the filter and it won’t wash off.
- Students can color their coffee filters anyway they want to. I recommend showing them the options on page 1, so that they can get an idea of what works.
- Color the filters on a piece of newsprint. It may bleed through. Save the newspaper and bring it reuse it again for the wet filter.
- If you’re doing a complete class set, an adult should wear gloves and be responsible for wetting the end of the coffee filter.
- Small groups work best. I was able to do 4-6 children at a time, all gathered at the sink. I wet the tip, pulled the water through and then unfolded them all at the same time to dry.
- Newspaper and wet filters can all be stacked on top of each other to dry. Once dried, they’re ready to put all the pieces together.
Click HERE: How to Dye Coffee Filters
Definitely one of our most popular posts is the the Tie Dyed Turkey (below). Children cannot believe their eyes when the colors all blend together and make such a beautiful piece of art. I honestly think the color blending is the best part. Putting it all together and making something you can hang in your home is fun too.
Use this technique to make whatever you like! We’ve used it for Turkeys and Peacocks!
(Visited 432,291 times, 78 visits today)
What People Are Saying
Fay Sedore says
THANK YOU! I’m an elementary teacher at our Christian Academy and our “STEM” teacher is looking for any projects to do with the children. You have been immensely helpful, and I can’t wait to let her know about your website.Thank you again!
What a kind compliment Fay! I hope you’re able to find some good ideas.
Correne Paver says
Can you tell me how long it takes for the craft to dry? In a 2 hour program, can we get this done?
Hi Correne – Good question! I usually make the coffee filters one day, dry and finish the next day. I always put them on newspaper, but if it was a sunny day they might dry faster outside.
Barb Langhoff says
Do you put the whole filter into water? How long?
Hello! There are 2 ways. I just usually put the tip of the folded filter in the water and then draw the water through with my fingers. I’ve also seen people lay it flat on newspaper and spritz with water. The marker will stain, so keep that it mind!
I use coffee filter art lots with my 2 1/2 year old children;spray it with squirt bottle and leave on newspaper about three hours. Works great. Thank you for the art tips.
Does it have to be crayola markers? Does it work with sharpies or other markers?
I’m a big believer in Crayola for all.the.things! 🙂 It would imagine it would work with just about any water based marker, except for Sharpie since they are permanent. Good luck!
Have you ever used tissue paper? I dont have coffee filters. Just thought I’d ask before I give it a try.
Hi there! I have not. I don’t think it would work with this process, but I think paper towels might work! Good luck and let me know what you decide to do.