Williamsburg Tips from Busy Kids Happy Mom:
- A paid ticket allows you to ride the free shuttle buses, tour the palace, and go into other exhibits. It is worth it and makes the experience more valuable to pay for your admission.
- We purchased our tickets on-line and got a small discount. You have to pick your tickets up at the Visitor’s Center. *Make sure you leave plenty of time to go there. It can take almost 1 hour to park, get tickets, watch the movie, get your bearings, and begin.
- Parking is free at the Visitor’s Center and shuttles are available (with admission). You can also walk to the Governor’s Palace from the Visitor’s Center in about 10 minutes. No cars are allowed in the Historic Area.
- At the Visitor’s Center, they have a movie that is the “longest running movie in history”. Do not worry, it’s only about 20 minutes!
- If a British flag is flying in front of a building – it’s open for people with tickets!
- We did not feel that the colonial area was very stroller or wheelchair friendly.
- New phrase coined in Williamsburg – BHP “Beware Horse Poop” – it’s on the roads, watch out!
- School-age girls (and boys) will enjoy the American Girl Felicity movie that takes place in Williamsburg. American Girl Dolls were actually inspired there!
- Carole Marsh writes some great children’s chapter books, including The Colonial Caper Mystery at Williamsburg or you might like If You Lived in Williamsburg in Colonial Days. Check it out!
|I love how “hands on” Williamsburg is!|