Snowman Handprint Ornament
Do you have a favorite Christmas ornament? The one that just makes you stop and say, “Look everyone, isn’t this the cutest?” It just warms your heart and makes you smile. Every year, I love hanging the little handprint ornament I made with my son when he was just 6 months old. Now it’s fun to do a craft that they can enjoy as big kids too. Making ornaments is my favorite Christmas craft. I hope you enjoy this Snowman Handprint Ornament tutorial.
Basic Instructions for Handprint Ornament
Our secret trick to making this craft is this special clay! It’s virtually mess free, air dries, and you can decorate it with markers. I also loves that it’s light weight. With a simple straw, you can poke a hole in the top and hang your ornament with ribbon.
|I traced his hand lines and he added the details.|
Supplies for Snowman Handprint Ornament:
- Air Dry White Clay (even sold in individual packs)
- Rolling Pin
- drinking straw
|Roll out a small piece of white clay and push your child’s hand in evenly. I usually like to put the palm in first and then press down on the fingers. If you mess up, ball it up and roll it out again.|
|Don’t forget to use a straw to make hole in the top before it dries.
Now take a break and let it dry for 24-48 hours, turn it over to make sure the back dries too.
|Then we brainstormed ideas of what could be drawn on the snowmen.
I was letting him draw with Sharpies… no room for mistake!
|Dried and ready for details! I used a black Sharpie to trace the outline of his hand.|
|Make sure you write your name and date on the back for posterity!|
|Another great keepsake!|
Directions for the Snowmen
- Roll out a small piece (the size of your baby’s hand) of Model Magic onto a portable surface. Make sure your surface is free of all lint and dirt.
- Stretch out their little fingers, put the base of their palm into the clay and then press each finger in quickly. If you mess up, roll it up and start again. Model Magic is very forgiving.
- Once it has dried, decorate with Sharpie Markers.
- Hang with a satin ribbon.
Age range: I made the ornament below when my son was 7, his hand was still a cute little size.